Composition and Photographic Style
Join me for this two-day intensive workshop focused on composition and style. This is not meant as an introduction to Composition but rather sets a comprehensive foundation to composition and balance that leads to a better understanding of what style is.
A comprehensive two-day workshop that explores Composition and how its understanding leads to Artistic or Personal Style. This workshop will examine much more than the ten basic rules of composition including:
The Science and Psychology of Composition
Beyond the Ten Basic Elements of Composition
Medium-Specific Controls (Photo, Paint, Film)
Placement/Point of Focus
Space (Subject Space, Background & Negative Space)
Balance (What is it & how to recognize good balance)
Compositional Notions and Devices
Breaking the Rules
Understanding Eye Movement
And will further define and explore Style:
What is Style
How to refine your Style
It is designed for anyone who wants to develop a personal and unique style in their photography. If you want to perfect the ability to consistently produce images that reflect your vision, this class is for you. A general understanding of the basics of composition is helpful but not required.
Limited to just 8 students.
There is a multipage handout that will act as a learning guide given to students at the end of the class.
Date & Time
Next Class - Saturday & Sunday, November 17 & 18, 2018
- Saturday: Please try to arrive for 8:45 to 9:00 am to allow for introductions, a quick tour, refreshments and breakfast (coffee/tea, donuts/pastries/fruit) and processing payments. Class will begin at 9:30 am sharp.
- Sunday, April 30: Class starts at 9:30 am sharp, please come early to allow for breakfast. If you have questions, need specific help, or just want to lounge around prior to class.
- Classes usually end around 4:30 pm but may run until 5:00 pm in order to answer any questions.
The workshop takes place in my private studio for a comfortable hands-on learning experience.
Banded Rock Studios (in Ladner)
4681 – 56th Street, Delta, BC V4K 3X4
This section will be updated soon.
- Pre-Class Assignment
- Find 4 or 5 images from a photographer whose style you like. Or 4 or 5 images of a style you like from various photographers. Put them on a USB Stick.
- Find 10 to 12 images from a single genre that you like to photograph. (Or two genres with 5 to 6 images each). Print 5x7 images (4x6 will do) of each image. Make the images fit so please do not crop the images. This may leave blank areas if you print a panorama for example. You can print these yourself or have them done at a lab and do not need to be high quality. Costco prints are fine for this assignment. These images will be handled.
- Once you have registered you should get a Pre-Class Assignment Questionaire. Please fill the questionnaire out! Please submit this by the Thursday evening prior to class (digitally). If you cannot, please do not worry and just bring a printed copy (or a digital copy on a USB Stick) on Saturday morning.
- What to Bring to Class
- Your USB Stick with images (and your Questionaire if you have not submitted it by the Previous Thursday)
- Your 10 to 12 Printed Images
- Notepad and Pen
- An appetite for breakfast
- An appetite for learning!
This 2-day workshop is $179.00 plus taxes (GST of $8.95) for a total of $187.95.
Upon paid registration, students will receive further details and specific homework instructions.
This class requires a minimum of 4 registered students to run and has a limit of 8 students to allow for personal coaching time with each student.